Existence of advanced UFOs ‘beyond reasonable doubt’, says ex-Pentagon official who ran secret US government programme. ‘I think it’s pretty clear this is not us, and it’s not anyone else, so one has to ask the question where they’re from’
The existence of unidentified flying objects using technology more advanced than human capabilities has been proved “beyond reasonable doubt”, the former head of a secret US government programme has said.
Luis Elizondo, who quit as head of the Advanced Threat Identification Programme (AATIP) two months ago, warned nations now “had to be conscious” of the potential threat posed by UFOs.
Earth may well have been visited by objects from outer space, the former head of a secret US government programme has told The Telegraph.
The existence of the real-life X-Files department, which began in 2007, was revealed this week and confirmed by the Pentagon.
In an interview with the Telegraph Mr Elizondo said much of what he could discuss was still classified.
That included whether his team had examined UFO sightings in other countries including the UK, or spoken to witnesses there.
SECRET PENTAGON DEPARTMENT INVESTIGATION
ON UFO ATTACKS
UFO enthusiasts have argued for decades that the U.S. government has been covering up the existence of unidentified craft containing alien visitors.
The idea that a hush-hush government outfit was investigating sightings and other bizarre phenomena famously provided the basis for TV drama series The X-Files.
Now, it seems the cult series wasn’t such a flight of fancy after all.
The shadowy programme’s existence was intentionally buried in the defence department’s $600 billion (£448.76 bn) annual budget, as were its headquarters, deep within the labyrinthine Pentagon building.
Based on the fifth floor of C Ring, the secret department has spent years investigating reports of unidentified flying objects.
Although the Pentagon officially stopped funding the project in 2012, insiders told the New York Times it is still operating. And, more tantalisingly, intelligence experts who ran it, and politicians who backed it, insist its research has not been fruitless.
Having investigated myriad reports from U.S. servicemen of encounters between unknown objects and military planes, they are convinced that nothing in this world can explain them.
This was the most impressive of the two pictures
Some still say that the best ever UFO caught on camera was one of the first – an image which was shot 67 years ago.
Just two snaps were taken of the “flying saucer” Evelyn and Paul Trent claimed to see as it flew passed their farm ranch between McMinnville and Sheridan in Yamhill County, Oregon, USA.
All those years on and many still believe these were genuine pictures caught on a simple Kodak camera, although last year there were a number of claims saying it was a hoax using a truck wing mirror as the spacecraft.
One who believes it could be a real flying saucer caught on camera is Russ Calaghan.
The UFO researcher made the claim at a UFO conference in Hull on Saturday.
Taken in 2008, this UFO image is in colour and impressive, but fairly grainy
“I’m not at liberty to discuss that,” he said. “But we took a very comprehensive approach. Nothing was too small to investigate.”
He added: “In my opinion, if this was a court of law, we have reached the point of ‘beyond reasonable doubt’. I hate to use the term UFO but that’s what were looking at.
“I think it’s pretty clear this is not us, and it’s not anyone else, so one has to ask the question where they’re from.”
The exact number of UFO sightings investigated, and witnesses interviewed, is also classified but Mr Elizondo said there had been “lots”.
Geographical “hot spots” emerged during the investigations, sometimes near nuclear facilities and power plants.
Common factors between the movements of separate unidentified objects had also been identified by the Pentagon team.
“It was enough where we began to see trends and similarities in incidents,” he said. “There were very distinct observeables. Extreme manoeuvrability, hypersonic velocity without a a sonic boom, speeds of 7-8,000mph, no flight surfaces on the objects. A lot of this is backed with radar signal data, gun camera footage from aircraft, multiple witnesses.
“There was never any display of hostility but the way they manoeuvred, in ways no-one else in the world had, you have to be conscious something could happen.”
After the existence of the secret programme was revealed this week attention focused on the release of footage of an unidentified object off San Diego in 2004.
US Navy pilot Commander David Fravor, flying an FA-18 near the object, described seeing a “white Tic Tac, about 40ft long with no wings” which was “something not from the Earth”.
Mr Elizondo said Commander Fravor was a “national hero” for speaking out. He said: “The social stigma about this is unbelievable, it’s very challenging. There are many other Commander Fravors out there who have come forward (to us), but he’s brave enough to discuss his experience publicly.”
Mr Elizondo said he had not preconceived ideas when he took the helm of the Pentagon programme, but later became convinced by what he saw.
“I don’t want to pre-suppose where they’re from. We were looking at two things: What is it? How does it work?
“As to who’s behind the wheel, and why is it here, that will fall into place. I think it’s pretty clear it’s not us, and it’s not anyone else.
“What we were trying to do was basically take the voodoo out of voodoo science.”
He refused to confirm or deny whether any technology had been recovered from any of the objects investigated.
However, buildings were modified by a private contractor in Nevada as a place to store anything discovered linked to the UFO incidents.
Witnesses to UFO sightings were also examined to see if there had been any physical effects on them.
Mr Elizondo said his team had developed theories about what was propelling the objects. “There are some tell tale clues,” he said. “We are getting to how it works, that’s a significant step.”
“When you’re given a mission you guard your post until you’re relieved of responsibility, and that never came for us,” he said. “There was an expectation that you continue to do what you’re doing.”
In a resignation letter to Jim Mattis, President Donald Trump’s Defence Secretary, he wrote: “Why aren’t we spending more time and effort on this issue? There remains a vital need to ascertain capability and intent of these phenomena for the benefit of the armed forces and the nation.”